Can you imagine living without all your electric appliances, time-saving devices, gadgets, tools, etc? If you have ever lived through power failures that lasted longer than a couple of hours, you come to realize how many things in your daily life function only with electricity. However, you will also notice the change in your house, the quietness, the peace. The fridge stops humming, the fan stops swooshing, computers and televisions stop making that almost inaudible high frequency. And even though you know that you have not gone deaf, because you can hear people talking and cars driving, you get this weird sensation, which is almost eery. Well, this is called peace.
In our modern electronic world, we are constantly exposed to electronic fields. Every day, we are showered by electromagnetic radiation from remote control devices, cell phones, electric stoves, heaters, boilers, freezers and television sets, satellites, broadcast antennas and other sources. Some people call it electrosmog. Is it harmful? Scientists still discuss the topic at length. Meanwhile, we are all involuntary participating in the world’s largest biological experiment.
Each manufacturer of an electrical device like microwaves, mobile phones or even governments allowing power lines or mobile phone masts to be placed, deny that any risk is involved. But how can they know if scientists haven’t even come to conclusions. Lack of evidence for negative effects is not the same thing as proof of safety. Nevertheless evidence of its potential risk to health is constantly mounting up, and can no longer be ignored.
Also, nobody is in control any more. There are no control groups and even though a single source of radiation might not be harmful, the story can be different when you add it all up. Individual susceptibility is also not taken into account. Are averages good enough if that means that it is harmful to many other people?
Scientists might not be sure yet about the end results, at least they all agree that electromagnetic radiation exists and that long term exposure to electromagnetic radiation causes fatigue, irritability, aggression, headaches, sleep disturbances, memory loss, learning disabilities, and emotional instability or attention deficit disorder. It creates chronic stress and causes our immune systems to become dysfunctional. So, as we know this, it should not be a surprise if these symptoms in turn will result in cancer or mutating of DNA.
Alright skepticals, I might have gone too far now. This is for the future to tell. For now, I think that we should just try to minimize electromagnetic pollution.
- Limit cell phone use (save a little money on it too!) and do not carry your phone on your body, but rather in a handbag.
- Remove electronic devices from your bedroom. So, no television, computer in the place where you sleep. Do not bring your cell phone in the bedroom.
- Take out the plugs of electronic appliances, computers and televisions when you do not use them (it also helps saving on your electricity bill, because it does not use phantom power)
- Walk with bare feet on grass or earth every day.
- Do not sleep in the area where your electric panel is located
- Limit microwave food and drinks.
- Replace fluorescent lighting with full-spectrum incandescent lighting
- Avoid wireless devices and handset phones, wireless internet, wireless baby monitors.
- Do not use an electrical blanket
- Do not sleep in a bed with metal frames or inner springs.
- Do not buy a home near high voltage power lines.
- Do not balance your laptop on your body.
Last, I would like to mention that even though many strong electromagnetic fields are manmade, the earth itself also creates electromagnetic fields through subterranean running water, certain mineral concentrations, fault lines and underground cavities. In some places these electromagnetic fields are stronger than in other places and this can affect our well-being as well. Feng Shui specialists are able to check your home for harmful earthrays, and offer tips to rid your home of geopathic stress, like sleeping with your head towards north or northeast, or by offering products and devices that will reduces the effects of earthrays.